All this MTB talk got me curious to see if I would
still like some of the stuff I used to do.  So back in
early Aug I got my 1979 Sterling solid frame out of
the shed where it has been dormant for many many
years.  After $70 at the bike shop for a rear wheel
truing and two new tires w/ tubes installed I set out.
 My understanding of the Adirondack park regs is that
anything considered "wild forest" is acceptable for
MTB activity.  I picked out some of the old snowmobile
trails that loop and did a few.  I had to pick up the
technique again to soften the ride but I got back into
it pretty well.  I don't think I would be that
interested in road bikes as it is not the simple act
of peddling that motivates me as much as the
accomplishment of rugged terrain and pushing myself to
make it through the stumps, roots and rocks
successfully.  There is a lot of banging and jarring
with the worst going to the tailbone area if I sit too
much through the rough stuff.  Balancing on the feet
and legs as much as possible and staying light on the
handle bars kept my arms and neck and shoulders from
too much torture.  I really liked it a lot.  I'm not
the speed freak type, more like the energizer bunny in
my approach.  Most of my riding was granny gear or
second  on the lowest range of my 18 gears.  Anything
over 4 or 5 MPH would bounce me right off the trail
and head over tea kettle. I like my skis on the snow
and my wheels on the dirt.
Jimski