Sunday was a great day for migrants on Brigham Hill in Essex. A nice cold front the day/night before followed by NNW winds throughout the day kept things interesting.

Starting in the morning, my backyard was crawling with birds including large numbers of WHITE CROWNED SPARROW, WHITE THROATED SPARROW, GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLETS, YELLOW RUMPED WARBLERS and JUNCOS among many other species. Too many to count.

Geese started moving through early as well - mostly CANADA GEESE (@1,500) but some SNOW GEESE, too (@100). I could still hear them at night when I took out the trash.

There was also a fair amount of hawk movement including individual KESTREL, HARRIER, COOPERS,  and a number of TV, OSPREY and SHARPIES. Was hard to tell if all the RED TAILED movement I saw was all locals or not. Probably, though.

Good stuff!

-Rick Renaud

 <http://www.dutchgardens.com/>