I was going to hold my tongue on this one but Tag's comment threw me over
the edge.

On 10/22/07, telenaut <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> As a real NYer, I am always amused by NYSers who confuse NYS with NY.

Which means what?  You're one of the other eight million individuals who
have the biggest inferiority complex on the planet?  I'm always amused that
people from NYC feel the constant need to defend themselves as "real
NYers".  Somehow they don't seem to realize that the term "New York" refers
to both the state and the city.  I once met a guy who told me that I wasn't
a real Yankees fan because I was from upstate.  Are you kidding me?  I could
never in my wildest dreams imagine someone from Boston telling a guy from
Medford that he's not a real Sox fan because he doesn't live within Boston
city limits.  Don't get me wrong.  I grew up in New Paltz, NY, and I have no
misconceptions about comparing my hometown to Manhattan, but I try not to
waste my time deciding who's "realer".

And Ben, as violent as he is, is right.  No Yankees' fan should root for the
Sox.  At least if he's a "real" one.  ;)