I was going to hold my tongue on this one but Tag's comment threw me over the edge.

On 10/22/07, telenaut < [log in to unmask]> wrote:
As a real NYer, I am always amused by NYSers who confuse NYS with NY.

Which means what?  You're one of the other eight million individuals who have the biggest inferiority complex on the planet?  I'm always amused that people from NYC feel the constant need to defend themselves as "real NYers".  Somehow they don't seem to realize that the term "New York" refers to both the state and the city.  I once met a guy who told me that I wasn't a real Yankees fan because I was from upstate.  Are you kidding me?  I could never in my wildest dreams imagine someone from Boston telling a guy from Medford that he's not a real Sox fan because he doesn't live within Boston city limits.  Don't get me wrong.  I grew up in New Paltz, NY, and I have no misconceptions about comparing my hometown to Manhattan, but I try not to waste my time deciding who's "realer".

And Ben, as violent as he is, is right.  No Yankees' fan should root for the Sox.  At least if he's a "real" one.  ;)