The term "accessible" is a buzzword that I use somewhat frequently in
my work and I think that it's pretty much BS.  And, your idea that a
cogent argument can be made that much of the best art is barely
accessible is completely BS.  Any such argument is based on an
absolute misunderstanding of what art is.

Fundamentally, whether performing or fine, art is a means of
expression and communication.  Inaccessibility blocks the ability to
transmit expression and to communicate.  Thus, if art is inaccessible,
it is not effectively serving its purpose and cannot be called good.

Accessible is a word that we use to allay the fears of people wary of
challenging themselves and their audiences.

--Matt K.