I know what you mean, but this reminds of the protagonist in Mark
Twain's A TRAMP ABROAD, who, with the help of a guide, ascends Mt.
Blanc via telescope.  In the character's words it is both a harrowing
and an hysterically funny tale.

Skivittlers will enjoy A TRAMP ABROAD.  Like the List, it talks about
mountains, glaciers, art, sword-fighting, and hiking.  And, like so
many writers on the List, myself included, the protagonist is
judgmental and opinionated and he holds himself in very high regard.

--Matt K.