From: Wesley Alan Wright [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Bottomless in October

On Oct 22, 2007, at 11:23 PM, telenaut wrote:

> As a real NYer, I am always amused by NYSers who confuse NYS with NY.

When I grew up, this was my geography:

There was The City, which I sometimes visited with my parents on
weekends or on school field trips. It was exciting, majestic, and
very fancy

Anything east of Queens and Brooklyn was The Island, where I lived
and city folk summered (way at the other end, though, which might as
well have been Europe). The Island was all about boats and beaches:
Going To The Beach or Gong to Sand City on The Boat was an admirable
and constructive way to spend the day.

Anything north of the Bronx  -- including New England and Canada --
was Upstate, where you'd go skiing. This was mysterious and primitive
frontier land, approached exclusively via the Throggs Neck or George
Washington Bridge

The rest of the country was characterized by Jersey, which was the
smelly state on the other end of the tunnel, It was simply in the way
of my relatives in Pennsylvania,  California (via the rockies), or
Florida (via Pedro's South of the Border) [the "Jersey Side" was also
the other side of the head pin in bowling]. And Connecticut, which
was that place across the sound we could see from the boat. It was
Connecticut when viewed from the Island, but Upstate if visited by car.

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. [v.E.1]