3 tours in Vietnam in the late 60s (he was under 20). On one of his leaves he
shot an automatic weapon at the house of a girlfriend. Instead of putting him
in jail, they sent him back to Nam where he had some kind of purpose, which
he apparently needed. He was a Green Beret, Special Forces. As typical for
him, he excelled at what he did. He needed this kind of thing. He grew up a
white trash Rochester hoodlum before going into the Army, so he needed some
kind of structure and reward system. The Army provided this, as well as meals
and clothing, something he had very little of as a poor child of a retarded
mother and alcoholic father. After a few years chilling out in Germany, they let
him back into the US and he went to flight school where he learned to fly
helicopter. He went to Central America in the late 70s and had even had the
acquaintance of Noriega during one of his missions. He flew Chinooks in
Nicaragua and Honduras for a number of years. Eventually he ended up in
Alaska for a few years doing rescue on Denali before coming back this way
and retiring with honors as a Warrant Officer. Then he got a computer and
learned how program (completely self-taught...can program in just about any
language).

Oh, and I asked him yesterday if he thought he was potentially a danger to
others while skiing with a headphones (or in his hood with speakers) and he
said confidentally "NO" and looked at my like 'why would I even think that, he
would never put anyone in danger'.

-Sh