It seems like more resorts than normal are starting up snowmaking operations in October this year.

Which of course begs the question - why? Energy costs are higher than ever, chances of a cold early season are probably lower than ever. Is exposure on FTO and just maybe a news story really worth it?

Last October I remember $teaux choking off the top of Nose Dive to make snow (maybe it was just an expensive way to keep the skinners from taking our preferred route?). Within two weeks or so all the snow (both natural and manmade) had melted from the mountain. This seems to happen year after year in mid-November. So why bother?

-eo