On 29 Oct 2007, at 8:18 PM, Ben Peters wrote:

> Because i'm lazy...
> http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?
> p=1501945#post1501945
>
> the essential details:
> left campus around 230 after my midterm, hiked killington, skied a
> little bit of the top of killington twice, hiked back down
> killington. and it was amazing.

Just got back to my computer after taking a jaunt up there, and I'd
generally agree with this statement.  It seems like early afternoon
might be a better timeframe than earlier in the morning; of the 470'-
ish of vertical, perhaps the first 1/3 was refrozen when I skied it.
The bottom portion, however, was actually quite nice and generally
fairly consistent (in the way that manmade snow tends to be when it's
good--soft, easy to turn in, and not sticky).  It was almost good
enough to tempt me into a second run, but I was also getting to be
rather late for work.

Also of note: I saw naturally-occurring ice well below the snow line
and some melting icicles at about 2840' on Racer's Edge.  Or at least
that's what the altimeter I borrowed said--I didn't calibrate it
before heading uphill, so everything is relative.  It claimed 3670'
at the top of the North Ridge Triple, so feel free to adjust
accordingly--I don't have the actual number at hand right now.

It took me about an hour to get from the K1 parking lot to the top of
the North Ridge Triple, but I walked Great Northern (the work road /
beginner trail) a good chunk of the way up before cutting across on
Racer's Edge and then catching back up with Great Northern.

7 photos up at <http://www.kevinbroderick.com/gallery/v/Killington/
Skiing0708/30Oct07/>

Kevin T. Broderick