I visited the Moose Bog area in the NE Kingdom this morning and it was pretty
quiet there this morning between 7:30 and 12:30. The oy birds of interet that
I had there were a group of 3-4 Gray Jays which were seen in the wetland
which is on S. America Pond Road about 1/4 mile from Rt 105. Also seen at
that same spot by 2 other birders was a Black-backed Woodpecker, but, alas,
despite hanging around at that spot until I had to leave to get back to
Burlngton, I could not relocate it for myself.
On the way from Moose Bog about halfway back to Pond Island, 4 birds flew
from the gravel in the road edge (of Rt105) up into the trees and a quick
stop produced nice (but fairly brief) looks at 4 White-winged Crossbills.
Along Rt 114 south of Pond Island a road-killed (not by me) male Pine
Grosbeak was still warm to the touch when I stopped to check it out. On the
road edge of the interchange from Rt I91 onto Rt 2 near St Johnsbury was a
flock of about 10 Snow Buntings.

Also yesterday afernoon (11/17) there was a Red-throated Loon on Colchester
Pond.

    Glenn Mahler
       Bonton, NJ