A flock of a dozen Pine Grosbeaks were flying and calling over Happy Hollow Rd. in South Royalton today. Also present was a Northern Shrike.

I am new to the area, having moved from Long Island. I didn't imagine these northern species being so numerous here. I have seen three different Shrike, a nice flock of Bohemian Waxwings and now Pine Grosbeaks on two different occasions. Is this a typical early autumn in central Vermont? Also, I would love to know if there are any reliable locations for roosting saw-whet. Thanks for any help.

Peter