Quoting Michael Blust <[log in to unmask]>:

> While birding the southern Lake Champlain vicinity from West Haven
> up to Bridport, we had the following noteworthy species:
>
> Swallow sp. - caught us by surprise, flew past and had an pale
> buffy/orange rump -Cliff?  Cave?! Unfortunately, just kept going.
> (along Lake St. in Bridport area)

Interesting bird-- Actually Cave Swallow is more likely than Cliff
Swallow in New England from November - March.  Here are some nice
reminders about late season birds that appeared recently on MASSBIRD
(posted by Marshall Iliff):

1) A November “Great Crested Flycatcher” in Massachusetts is more
likely an Ash-throated
2) A November “Cliff Swallow” in Massachusetts is more likely a Cave Swallow
3) A November “Least Flycatcher” in Massachusetts is at least as
likely to be a western species­Hammaond’s, Dusky, or Gray
4) A November “Mourning Warbler” in Massachusetts is more likely a
MacGillivray’s
5) A November “Black-throated Green Warbler” should be carefully
checked for Townsend’s or Hermit (or even Golden-cheeked!)
6) A November hummingbird could be practically anything, with Rufous
most likely
7) A November Western Kingbird is probably a Western Kingbird, but
should carefully eliminate Cassin’s, Couch’s, and Tropical Kingbirds
as well
8) A November “Purple Martin” is probably not a Purple and could be a
Brown-chested or Southern, or even something more exotic.
9) A November “Common Nighthawk” could be a Lesser Nighthawk
10) A November “Rose-breasted Grosbeak” could be a Black-headed Grosbeak
11) Any November swift, nightjar, or pewee needs to be very carefully
identified
12)   This is only a partial list- -­do not assume that the likely
summer species is the likely winter species!

(Note: These rules apply well beyond November and would be better
written “November to March.  Also these rules are based on
Massachusetts” records but could reasonably be assumed to apply
throughout New England.)

Scott Morrical
South Burlington