It seems fair, by Eric's reckoning, that if the bird shows the flank patch, it can be safely called arctica, although an absence of white flanks is not necessarily indicative that it is NOT arctica. Has anybody photographed this bird yet?
-Peter

Eric Masterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote: I have seen many Arctic in Europe and the flank patch is not a reliable
feature in so far as it is not uncommon for individuals to lack this
field mark.

Eric Masterson
New Hampshire Audubon
Phone 224-9909 ext. 307

Win a two-night stay at the Mount Washington Valley Resort and Hotel
for two couples by recruiting a new member.  Go to www.nhaudubon.org for
more information.

New Hampshire Audubon
Protecting New Hampshire's natural environment for wildlife and for
people

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/07/2007 12:59 PM >>>
In his book, Peter Dunne writes about distinguishing Arctic from
Pacific:

"In all plumages, Arctic Loon shows a triangular or wedge-shaped white

flank patch bulging prominently above the water line just in front of
the tail.
All other considerations....are virtually insignificant.  Just use the

flank patch.  It works.
In winter, however, Pacific Loon often shows a shadowy 'chin strap'.
Arctic does not....
NOTE:  If the demarcation between the dark upper parts and white
underparts is a straight, horizontal line, the bird is Pacific. If the

white flank swells above and behind the wing, it's Arctic.  If you're
not sure, it's Pacific."