If you are looking for good writing and photography in a ski mag check
out ski journal. It has very well written articles and tons of awesome
photos. Its like an alpinist for skiing.

My other favorite is Powder. I onl'y read Skiing when i have to take a
parc and can't find a powder. The gear and resort guides may not
always be the best but they are targeted to a different audience. They
are targeted to people who will actually buy the stuff... this year...
at retail. The resort guides are also targeted to people who go places
and don't couch surf (I can't even fathom this). The don't have
statistics of cliff huckage/acre or cheapest place to buy food.

Allen

On 11/11/07, Jim Crowley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> >> Can you tell that it hasn't really snowed yet in Idaho this season and I have
> >> nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon than read ski magazines?
>
> And Roger K. responded:
>
> >You mean other than hike,bike,climb, & kayak?
>
> Hiking was the best option (other than watching the Giants lose), but I'm trying
> to reduce my non-winter driving to trips that involve going with someone else,
> and I had no one else to hike with today. My non-driving plan has worked, as
> I've only put 4,000 miles on my car in the past 6 months. I may triple distance
> that in the next 6 months. There is some local hiking, but I'd rather run on
> those trails.
>
> I'm burned out on biking, plus the trails might still be muddy from last night's
> rain and muddy riding is forbidden on the Foothills trails for good reason. I
> mountain biked a lot this summer and fall.
>
> I'm not a climber.
>
> I'm not a kayaker, but even if I was I think the kayaking season is over due to
> the drought that has river levels at 50% of normal. It looks like I could
> almost walk across the Boise River with water only coming up to my knees.
>
> So I went for a run instead in the setting sun.
>
> >I  like the idea that you're sitting around on the couch.  Come
> >February, Paul &  I may be that much closer to you as we chase you up
> >the hills.
>
> Then I guess you don't want to hear that I've lost 15 lbs. since ski season
> ended and am down to my high school weight. It's amazing what regular exercise
> during the week can do instead of the weekend warrior thing.
>
> Jim

As lonely as the mountain can be, lonelier still is the man whose
travels take him away from the mountains.