The upcoming storm system is a tough call.  I'd expect lower snowfall totals
in NH and ME based on latest westward trend, with higher totals in northern
NY and northern VT.  The system is progged to deepen quicker than
anticipated yesterday, throwing more moisture back into the cold conveyor
belt.  The Adirondacks will see 4-6"...the Northern Green Mountains see
7-10", w/ isolated 12" amounts along the spine.

What we'll see tomorrow is a rain changing to snow from WNW to ESE, and from
the top down...happening mostly during the afternoon or evening for most
areas.  The snow level will stop however, at 1,500ft for some time...and so
the lowest elevations, such as the Champlain Valley, might not see much snow
(2" or less) with an after 12am Friday changeover time.  With no strong low
level cold air push until the low is well off to the northeast, we'll have
to use dynamic cooling from the melting of snowflakes aloft, to bring the
snow level that last thousand or so feet to the surface.  If the snow level
doesn't lower to the CPV by midnight, a strong area of 500mb vorticity will
help mix it to the surface.

The only ways we could end up with more snow in the valleys (and mountains)
are:
1) Heavy banded precipitation is occurring over the region pushing that snow
level lower several hours ahead of schedule in areas seeing any meso-scale
bands.
2) The low pressure system will track in a fashion that is favorable to
Champlain Valley convergence on the backside, and adjacent heavy upslope
snow.  Late tomorrow night, NNW winds should funnel moisture into the upper
CPV and western slopes while riding the cold air south...enhancing and/or
prolonging backside snowfall.

Whatever happens, it should be a fun early season system with a little more
widespread snowfall than the last mountain episode.

-Scott