Thinking of rescue. Just in case anyone doesn't know there is a litter
located in the rafters of taft lodge. It could come in very handy if
hurt on the chin or in the notch. Its just a litter though no
backboard or ropes.

It would be interesting to see how ski areas would respond to the
european model of rescue.

Unless I've read all this wrong:
Within their boundaries ski areas can tell you where and where not to
go. Good policy however is to use discretion.

Also they can't stop you form ertering state land from open trails,
i.e. Smuggler's Notch sidecountry, or slidebrook. The chin is weird
because it is owned by uvm but things seem to work out there.

You will get charged for your rescue if you were being reckless and
were unprepared out of bounds. I think that they will charge you no
matter what if you were poaching (correct me if i'm wrong).

Allen

On 11/26/07, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> As I understand it, that's not the case in Vermont.  My understanding
> is that only if you are negligent can you be charged with rescue
> costs.  Therefore, if I were well equipped, showed reasonable
> judgment, and left the ski area boundary via a non-closed trail and
> subsequently needed rescuing, I would not be liable for the cost of
> rescue.  And, personally, I don't think that that is unreasonable.
>
> For example, a couple years ago, several of us were skiing at Stowe
> were planning on spending the night at the Stone Hut.  After the ski
> area closed, we went up and over and descended an area in the woods
> near the Teardrop.  Near the CCC road, one of our party members caught
> a buried log with his ski tip and ended up tearing his groin muscle
> and breaking his right leg (hairline fracture).  With a cell phone we
> were able to call a local friend to meet us with a car at the
> Underhill State Park and, after taking more than an hour to get our
> friend down to the state park, one in our party drove our injured
> friend to the hospital.  (One of our party is a member of the NSP and
> did a terrific job of leading the response to the injury.)
>
> If for some reason we hadn't been able to extract him and we'd needed
> rescue assistance, I'd be surprised if we'd have been charged for the
> rescue cost and would have fought the charges.
>
> Skip, keep in mind that in Europe very affordable rescue insurance is
> also offered.  But then again, Europe's system is so different that
> comparisons are often dangerous.
>
> --Matt K.
>
> On Nov 26, 2007 7:28 AM, John Atkinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > The Long Trail may be different, but skiing off-piste at a ski area isn't. You
> > knowingly left the services of the ski area and should expect to incur rescue
> > costs, but not righteous indignation.

As lonely as the mountain can be, lonelier still is the man whose
travels take him away from the mountains.