---Forwarded Message---

It's not too early to get the word out about what you are planning for
the 2009 Celebrate Champlain Quadricentennial!  _Applications are now
being accepted_ for events, exhibits, and projects that explore one or
more of these themes set by the Vermont Lake Champlain Quadricentennial
Commission:

    * The long and rich cultural heritage of Lake Champlain and the
      Champlain Basin of Vermont.
    * The natural history of Lake Champlain and the Champlain Basin of
      Vermont.
    * Environmental and other challenges currently confronting Lake
      Champlain.
    * Samuel de Champlain's 1609 exploration of our lake basin.
    * Particular focus on one or more of the following: Franco-American,
      French-Canadian and Native American history and culture in the
      region; and groups of people contributing to the contemporary
      cultural history of the Lake Champlain basin.

Although applications will be considered throughout 2008, all are
encouraged to submit applications for Event Selection and Designation by
_February 15, 2008_ in order to be included in promotional materials
accompanying Vermont delegations to France (May 2008, commemorating when
Samuel de Champlain departed France for North America) and Quebec (July
2008, when he arrived in Quebec City.)

While the year-long celebration will feature several unique,
once-in-a-lifetime events, existing annual events are encouraged to take
on a Quadricentennial flavor and be included in this rare opportunity to
attract broad attention.  "We want the Quadricentennial to call
attention to the variety and richness of this region," says
Quadricentennial Commission /Commemoration and Events Committee/ chair
Marilyn Cormier.  "Think of 2009 like a necklace of gems.  The large
beautiful stones -- or signature events -- will be supported by the
equal brilliance of many adjoining stones.  Like the necklace, all of
Vermont will shine."

To learn more and to submit your application, go to
http://www.celebratechamplain.org/events_intro.html .

If you are not an event or project planner yourself, please feel free to
pass this email along to your favorite cultural group or anyone who
might be interested.

All successful event applicants will be given _license to use the
Celebrate Champlain logo_ for promoting their Quad activities.  We are
also taking applications from businesses and non-profits who wish to use
the logo for promotion, and applications for logo-use in developing
_Quadricentennial products_ and commercial services.  Information about
these are available at http://www.celebratechamplain.org
<http://www.celebratechamplain.org/> .

Thanks very much, and feel free to contact me about Quadricentennial.

Catherine

Catherine Brooks

Cultural Heritage Tourism Coordinator

Vermont Department of Tourism and Marketing

1 National Life Drive

Montpelier, VT 05620-0501

[log in to unmask]  (802)828-3683

---End of Forwarded Message---