Hi All...

In agreement with Gabe, food is a very important source of oxygen and there is a large (~+28 per mil) fractionation between leaf water oxygen and cellulose oxygen... Oxygen isotope values of non-obligate drinkers, who get a larger proportion of their oxygen from cellulose and/or leaf water, would have higher values than animals who need to drink...

Hydrogen is a much less complicated story, with smaller fractionations... But I think those who utilize hydrogen in avian studies have to start measuring isotopic variation in food sources as well as the consumer... Are there any data on food web hydrogen isotopes values? Has anyone gone out and systematically collected and analyzed (for hydrogen) a terrestrial food web from primary producers to top consumers? I think there is a lot more variation at the local scale than people assume, and this is likely the most important contribution to the noise we deal with when trying to assign individual birds (or groups of birds) to specific geographic areas... I realize that by analyzing consumer tissues with intermediate turnover rates you can assume as certain degree of integration (especially when viewed from the population level), but among-individual variance among can have powerful ecological implications... The isotopic ecology community who utlizes hydrogen (80-90% of whom study birds) needs to better characterize isotopic variation in the things that birds are putting in their mouths... I think we will be surprised at the amount of hydrogen isotope variation we see at the local level...

Off on a tangent...

Seth
aka Wombat Boy