Charleston has a free website by KeVa Co.  It is sponsored by ads from local businesses.  I send the information on to them, and they put it on.  I have full control of the calendar page.  They are very efficient and get whatever I send them on promptly.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sally Hoyler
Sent:
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 1:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Budgeting for website

I want to create a website for Ripton and have been collecting Muninet emails related to website creation over the past year. I am interested in doing it myself (believe I have the skills and I need th extra income). I'm mostly interested in the cost and time involved as I am preparing a proposal for the Selectboard. I would appreciate anything anyone can offer. My questions:

How much does your town budget for website creation/maintenance? Is yours done in-house or out?

If in-house, who is doing it and how are they compensated? Meaning, if you the clerk are doing it, was your pay increased as Town Clerk, or was a budget line created for website creation and maintenance, or what?

If in-house, what lead to the decision to do it in-house? - cost comparison, availability of someone with the skills, more control over the design, easier to maintain, other?

If in-house, about how many hours a week (month, year, however you count it) is required for maintenance of the site?

Thanks so much!  -Sally