On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:34:19 -0500, roger Klinger <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I was about to provide links to the reports that showed that,
>according to the GAO, the U.S. Forest Service timber program cost
>American taxpayers over $2 BILLION from 1992-1997.  But then I noticed
>a slew of reports showing the USFS accounting systems are FUBAR, and
>we probably lost more than the 2 billion.

If you're looking for an argument that the govt is a horrendously inefficient
user of our tax dollars, you won't get it from me.  I can't imagine how anyone
could argue otherwise, and I wouldn't be surprised if the USFS was one of the
more efficient govt entities.  One can only imagine the tihs show that is HUD
and DHS. If you want to "starve the beast" ala some of the Repub true
believers - good luck with that in the real world.  I think we're stuck with it.

Anyway, still haven't seen an analysis showing that the alleged subsidy is real,
and not simply a 1-for-1 replacement of the lower stumpage revenues the
govt would surely receive if it mandated that timber companies build the roads
only to abandon them.