Dear Colleagues,

We would like to call your attention to the following special session at
the ASLO summer 2008 meeting in St. Johnís, Newfoundland:

SS21. Close to the Borderline-processes In and Across Strong
Environmental Gradients

Interfaces, whether chemical, physical or biological in nature, are
often foci of intense activity. By their very nature a variety of
processes can be concentrated over short distances, leading to unique
interactions between organisms and environments. Sharp chemical
gradients often lead to an abundance of bacterial activity and a myriad
of interwoven substrates and products. This session welcomes papers
discussing all aspects of ecology within and near strong environmental
interfaces. Examples of such interfaces include oxic-suboxic-anoxic,
sediment-water, air-sea, terrestrial-riparian, hydrothermal-deep sea,
and freshwater-saline.

Stable isotopic techniques are oftentimes very useful in examining the
types of transformations that take place within sharp gradients, and
therefore we hope that any of you who are examining such environments
will consider submitting a talk or poster to our session.

The abstract deadline is 28 February, 2008

Procedures for abstract submission can be found at the following link.

www.aslo.org/meetings/stjohns2008/abs_guide.html

If you have any questions you can contact Ellery or myself.

See you in St. Johnís!

Jay Brandes ([log in to unmask])

Ellery Ingall ([log in to unmask])