Jason,

I have a Prism III which does not use PrismUp so some of your problem is
unfamiliar to me.  However I can tell you that you do not need to run
OS/2 Warp 3 inside an emulator to get it to work on a modern computer.
I am running OS/2 on a hand-me-down Dell GX150 (a PIII) but it should
run on much newer machines.  Naturally it runs very fast on these
machines.  The only thing I am not sure of off the top of my head is
whether it will run on a dual-core processor.

What you need is updated drivers to handle hard drives bigger than 4GB
and probably updated drivers for video and network cards.  These are all
available from the hobbes archive at
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-browse?sh=1&dir=//pub.  For the drive
you can use Dani drivers, most likely danis506r181.  The others I'd have
to look up depending on your video card and NIC.  Let me know if you
want to go down that path and I'll find more info.

I strongly recommend two other variations on the standard setup.  First
I use NetOp remote control software to allow me to control/monitor the
mass spec from my office.  It also allows me to transfer files to my
office machine for backup and post-processing without having to buy a
(very expensive) Windows client for OS/2.  The mass spec computer is
also invisible to the rest of the Windows network - which is good.

The second variation sounds complex but it was worth the effort.  The
hard drive is partitioned into a c: and d: drive.  The operating system
and some other software (eg a program for taking screen shots - so I can
keep copies of background scans, peak shapes etc) sit on c:.  The d: has
the Isotech directory and a command-line only version of OS/2.  There is
a boot loader which allows me to select which one to boot.  Once the
system was working I zipped the d drive and transfered it to my office
machine.  Then I rebooted into the d drive and from there zipped the c
drive, then rebooted back into c: and transfered the zipped c drive to
my office machine.  That gave me a zipped copy of the whole
installation.  When the inevidable hard disk crash occurred it was
pretty straightforward to unzip the images onto a new disk and get going
again in a day or so.  There were some minor issues but I've forgotten
the details.  (Of course the data is backed up after every run so
nothing was lost there.)

Let me know if you need any help and I hope you get you computing
somewhat closer to the 21st century.

cheers,
David

--
內躬偕爻內躬內躬偕爻內躬內躬偕爻內躬內躬偕爻內躬內躬偕爻內躬內躬偕爻

David Wheeler

Professional Officer
Geochemistry Laboratory
University of Wollongong,
Wollongong, 2522, NSW
Australia

Phone   02 4221 4586 (office)
	02 4226 5903 (lab)
Fax 	02 4221 4250

E-mail	[log in to unmask]

'These days, if a scientist can't get
 an answer by isotope analysis, he ain't hep'

                       - Isaac Asimov, 1959

內躬偕爻內躬內躬偕爻內躬內躬偕爻內躬內躬偕爻內躬內躬偕爻內躬內躬偕爻