From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hans Friedrichsen
Sent: Wednesday, 16 January 2008 10:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] poisoning of D/H platinum rods/Hokko Beads by dissolved sulfide, and copper pre-treatment

to the water equilibration people,

just a reminder, the isotope equilibration between H20 and H2 happens in the vapor phase , so if there is no H2S in the vapor (depending on the pH of the liquid ) then there is no poisoning of the catalyst surface. But if you do have H2S in the vapor phase the catalyst will be inactive with time. And a second reminder: the equilibration occurs on the catalyst surface the catalyst has to be temperature controlled . some people place the catalyst well above the liquid phase at the top of a bottle where the temperature might be different by a few tenth of a centigrade compared to the temperaturecontrolled liquid and therefore they get different fractionation results. and a third thing: do not stop bacterial activity with HgCl2 this ruins the catalyst

Hans Friedrichsen

for

MS Analysentechnik (producer of the catalyst sticks)