Good Morning from South Carolina:

As I have been reading through the recent posts concerning teaching
research to the Google generation, Child's Play, From Clicks to... and
the pleas for "creative computing " ,  I recalled some work we did at
UVM in the late 80's. At that time we were worried about kids spending
too much too on computers and not enough on hands-on learning
activities in and out of schools. Sound familiar??

  We  had a lot of student teachers at that time and they were all
over the state. They were willing and able to try new ideas  and were
in classrooms with a computer (mostly Apples and Commodore 64's). We
decided  we would use them to work on finding ways to design "hands-
on" activities that included the use of the computer.  Looking back I
am sure that we were very much influenced by Seymour Papert's book
"Mindstorms" even through only a few of us had Logo on our machines.

We started out by thinking that we should teach young kids (grades
1-3) about "systems" since they were about to use a computer system.
The lessons we designed were guided by "ARC"- They started with
concrete experience with "stuff", moved to representational experience
(maps, models, drawings) and then to abstractions (words, symbols,
formulas).

We gave the kids wires, batteries, switches, lamps and doorbells and
let them put them together. They made drawings of "stuff"  that worked
and "stuff" that didn't work. They talked and wrote about "systems"
that were formed with the "stuff." Finally after much hands-on,
drawing, writing and talking the computer appeared with software that
could be used to design circuits and systems.

We gave them a collection of blocks that were different colors, shapes
and sizes and let them build with the blocks. We played games with the
blocks that were guided by "logic rules." They made drawing of the
results of the games and talked about the rules. Out came the computer
with software (Learning Company??) that allowed the games to be played
electronically.

We gave them water, small cups and seltzer tablets and let them
investigate. We had races with warm and cold water, pieces of tablets.
We added other substances - salt, chalk, etc. They captured the
bubbles produced. Made drawings. They timed reactions. We talked and
wrote about system change. They made predictions  and tested them.  We
searched for software but I don't think we found any. We decided the
best way to get the computer involved was writing about their "work."

Finally we started looking at the school building as a system. We took
"field trips" to the school boiler room, the bus garage, the kitchen
etc. We made drawings of the systems that made up the school. We
invited the folks that ran those systems to come and talk with the
students. We asked them to talk about "trouble shooting" their
systems. The students designed ways to keep the systems working. The
computer helped by giving us a way  to keep records about our "work."

It is important to make a note about the classroom environment where
these activities took place. Almost all the classrooms had "centers."
Those that didn't have "centers" added them soon after we started the
activities.  The classrooms had a "work center" with tools, raw
materials (wood, cardboard (remember TriWall etc), running water,
etc. Writing and reading centers, and a center for the computer. In
most of the classrooms these "centers" were located next to each other
to promote easy access across the "centers" and stuff.

Sorry for such a long ramble. As I wrote I realized we did at least
one more project that relates to the topic - so I'll stop here and
continue part 2 later.

Peace

Frank

Frank J. Watson