Good afternoon from South Carolina:

Part two of this ramble was influenced by the messages that addressed
the issues of teaching research to the Goggle generation.

In the early 90's, teachers in several schools  asked my students to
teach their students (5th and 6th graders) to use HyperCard to make
reports. I warned my students not to start the kids on the computer
with Hypercard without a plan and design on paper. I said "Remember
what happened to you when you started your Stacks without a paper
design?" Within days my students were back on campus upset that the
Hypercard project was a mess. YA I said - No Plans!

I decided that we needed to tell the kids  and teachers - no Hypercard
use until you have a design and that design had to include the
information resources that would be used in the Stack. The project had
to start in the library!!  What a good idea I said to myself!!   Not -
I soon learned that most of the teachers and students (mine included)
had poor information gathering and processing skills.  I knew I could
probably get the school librarian to work with the kids and perhaps
the teachers. My worry was the teachers and my students, I wanted them
to know what information literacy was and how to teach their students.
A librarian would not always be around.

As I thought about this I realized I had another problem - I didn't
know what comprised "information literacy."  I thought that I was
pretty good at gathering, organizing, analyzing, evaluating and
presenting information but I wasn't sure where I learned it and how I
did it - was I information literate? Were there a set of information
literacy guidelines - standards? Where to find out? (Remember this was
the time of limited Internet - NO GOGGLE - maybe GOPHER.)

  I decided it was time for a visit to a library and a librarian. As I
pondered this question I was on my way to the Fletcher, VT Elementary
School that had a part time librarian who probably would be at another
school just when I needed her! Maybe I could get a clue in the
Fletcher School Library. There it was on the back side of the Fletcher
Elementary School library door - INFORMATION LITERACY STANDARDS for
STUDENTS and TEACHERS. A poster by the VT. School Librarians Assoc.
that illustrates the American Assoc. of School Librarian's information
literacy standards for students and teachers. Try the following link:
www.ala.org/ala/aasl/aaslproftools/informationpower/InformationLiteracyStandards_final.pdf

The students and teachers I was working with used the standards and
the kids came to the computers with information ready. At the time I
thought it would be good to develop a Vermont K-12 curriculum that
used the information literacy standards and to encourage its use with
all students. Something like " the information processing curriculum."
Soon after that I left UVM for VISMT and the work never got done.
Perhaps now is the time. In 2007 the American Assoc. of School
Librarians released "Standards for the 21st Century Learner."   Try
the following link: http://www.ala.org/ala/aasl/aaslproftools/learningstandards/standards.cfm

The guidelines are ready! Shouldn't we be ready? I am sure that some
librarians are doing this but it would be more powerful if we get into
classrooms starting at grade one!!

Peace

Frank

Frank J. Watson