Here is a thought.

There has been numerous examples where one-2-one laptop initiatives have been a success, and where they just got abused to the point where it was more work to manage then it was worth.  All in all they are expensive to start and expensive to maintain over a long time, but have a lot of potential.

I was talking with one of my vendors (bytespeed) about a think client they are building. The Idea came up where we could outfit 3 classrooms with wired thin clients (including monitors and an Edubuntu server) for the cost of a 20 laptop mobile lab.

This open-ups a lot of opportunities; If schools would be willing to move to Edubuntu.