Hi Lucie--

Our VSLA listserv is down at the moment. We're working on getting it transferred, and hopefully it'll be up and running very soon. I'll forward your message as soon as it is, and I'm sure you'll get a number of "gems"!

Sue

Susan Monmaney
Technology Coordinator/Teacher
Main Street Middle School
170 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
(802)225-8655

>>> Lucie deLaBruere <[log in to unmask]> 01/21/08 7:37 PM >>>
Are you seeing more classes coming to the computer lab to do research
without any instruction in how to research?  It was my hunch that teachers
are assuming that because they are teaching 'digital natives' that the kids
already KNOW how to do this.  It is also my hunch that the Internet has
changed so quickly that teachers (myself included)  have outdated skills in
this area.

The following British report about Research skills and the Google Generation
confirmed my hunch.  If you have time to actually download the PDF and skim
it, it certainly confirms that the digital natives still NEED us to make
them information literate.

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/news/stories/2008/01/googlegen.aspx

I know there are a few librarians on this list (and since I don't subscribe
to the librarian list serv,  perhaps you could query them and report back
here to us "tech integration" folks.   Sometimes we are being asked to do
this;  other times we are watching teachers tell  kids to "use the internet
to finish your research on your science project"  and assume that kids know
how to do that.  Quite often no time is left in the activity for explicit
instruction on "how to do this".  Sometimes its because of the faulty
assumption that "digital natives" already know how to "google";  other times
its because the teacher themselves doesn't really know "HOW TO TEACH" this
skill using a tools that has changed so much. (blogs,  wikis,  ADsense,
social networking, podcast)...

The question is  "do you have a "gem" lesson, unit,  strategy, that do a
good job scaffolding students through the research process or perhaps to
help teachers guide their students to using "today's" internet for research.

Lucie deLaBruere

--
Lucie deLaBruere
www.LearningWithLucie.com