Bryan,

We switched this year from Symantec to Sophos. I switched primarily for two reasons: Symantec had real difficulty with a trojan on one of our PCs that Sophos cleaned up easily; and Symantec left a large footprint in both memory and cpu usage. I'm not sure if the Sophos footprint is a whole lot smaller, but I was surprised when it alerted me to a virus from a flash download which it had prevented, and it wasn't until the next day that I received an alert from a virus alert service on the flash virus. They claim to be the leader in getting definition updates out. It took me awhile to learn the new network interface, but I now find it fairly easy to use. School pricing is good, and it extends to teachers' home computers which we haven't take advantage of yet. Tech support is unbelievable. At least with the Enterprise version, tech support is done on the phone which is answered almost immediately. A sales rep and an engineer will give you a web demo, so you can get  a good look at it before buying.

Doug Reaves
Bellows Free Academy
Fairfax, Vermont

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this transmission is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply to the sender that you received this communication in error and then delete it. Thank you.

>>> Bryan Thompson <[log in to unmask]> 1/11/2008 11:44 AM >>>
All,

I know there was a recent thread here about antivirus solutions but
I'm wondering what folks think of sophos. I have never installed
antivirus on any of our Mac computers but when an attachment was sent
from a Mac to a PC that had a virus in it - to the school police
officer, I started getting second thoughts. Sophos seems to have a
nice antivirus software for Mac, and also has the same kind of server
software we have with our PC Symantec solution. I'm curious if anyone
is using any other antivirus product for a mix of Mac (OS 8.6 up to
10.5), and Windows XP to Vista.

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan Thompson