We called that Śpower-pointlessnessą didnąt we ?

From: Vincent Rossano <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:03:49 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Teaching research to the Google Generation

Not only do "the digital natives still NEED us to make them information
literate", as Lucie suggests, they need us now more than ever.   In the "old
days", a kid walked into a library and much of the work of sorting the
informational wheat from the chaff had already been done by the fact that
the books on the shelves had gotten there through an intelligent selection
process based on their value as determined by professional librarians, who
were choosing from books available from publishers who had done their own
selection based on value - or, at least, saleability.

We now have access to tons of free-floating information contained within a
"galaxies of garbage".  Kids are great at plying the galaxies, but very
often they can't tell a inhabitable planet from a black hole.   They can put
together the slickest PowerPoint presentation -  which will get all kinds of
ooohs and aaaahs because they've made the words dance around and whistle
"Dixie" - but have nothing of substance contained within it.   Teaching kids
to make slick PowerPoint presentations is trivial; teaching kids to make
slick PowerPoint presentations that convey real information is much better;
teaching kids to analyze and evaluate information - whether they are putting
that information into a PowerPoint presentation or a traditional expository
essay - is essential.

Furthermore, as a former librarian, I can tell you that helping people
understand how to find, evaluate and employ information is the essence of
librarianship.  Are we forgetting this valuable resource because, in some
cases, it's hidden behind a stack of books?  Seek out your librarians!  Get
them involved!

And, in closing, allow me to paraphrase Dick the Butcher in Shakespeare's
Henry VI: "First thing we do, let's kill all the PowerPoint presentations."
:-)

-Vince

>>> Lucie deLaBruere <[log in to unmask]> 1/21/2008 7:37 PM >>>
Are you seeing more classes coming to the computer lab to do research
without any instruction in how to research?  It was my hunch that teachers
are assuming that because they are teaching 'digital natives' that the kids
already KNOW how to do this.  It is also my hunch that the Internet has
changed so quickly that teachers (myself included)  have outdated skills in
this area.

The following British report about Research skills and the Google Generation
confirmed my hunch.  If you have time to actually download the PDF and skim
it, it certainly confirms that the digital natives still NEED us to make
them information literate.

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/news/stories/2008/01/googlegen.aspx

I know there are a few librarians on this list (and since I don't subscribe
to the librarian list serv,  perhaps you could query them and report back
here to us "tech integration" folks.   Sometimes we are being asked to do
this;  other times we are watching teachers tell  kids to "use the internet
to finish your research on your science project"  and assume that kids know
how to do that.  Quite often no time is left in the activity for explicit
instruction on "how to do this".  Sometimes its because of the faulty
assumption that "digital natives" already know how to "google";  other times
its because the teacher themselves doesn't really know "HOW TO TEACH" this
skill using a tools that has changed so much. (blogs,  wikis,  ADsense,
social networking, podcast)...

The question is  "do you have a "gem" lesson, unit,  strategy, that do a
good job scaffolding students through the research process or perhaps to
help teachers guide their students to using "today's" internet for research.

Lucie deLaBruere

--
Lucie deLaBruere
www.LearningWithLucie.com <http://www.LearningWithLucie.com>