I'm replying to the list, just in case other folks are thinking of getting a new ILS, many libraries are. Here's a new survey that might be of interest:
http://www.librarytechnology.org/perceptions2007.pl

I'm desperate for a new system, and would love to use one of the few open source alternatives. But library catalogs are simply huge, multi-faceted programs, and they're notoriously horrible (from this librarian's perspective). Most libraries of any size need multiple modules - cataloging, circulation, acquisitions, plus a web-based OPAC. The open source products are still very much under development, and don't seem to have the user base yet. I think libraries are slow to jump on board because of the difficulties in migrating between products.  The cost of data migration is usually based on collection size.  There's been some movement to incorporating 2.0 technologies like tags & readers reviews, many of us would simply like a better search feature with spell check.

If you do end up implementing an open source system, I would love to know about it. Good luck.

Pamela Burke
Librarian, Marlboro School
Marlboro, VT 05344