productivity. Adam

From: Raymond Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:26:41 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Conversation: throw another distraction log on the IT pyre
Subject: throw another distraction log on the IT pyre

all this technology making things better, where are my clogs?

R.

http://www.news.com/2010-1022_3-6228144.html

"According to Basex <http://www.basex.com/web/tbghome.nsf/pages/home> , a
research firm focusing on the knowledge economy, interruptions from e-mail,
cell phones, instant messaging, text messaging, and blogs eat up nearly 30
percent of each day; on an annualized basis, this represents a loss of 28
billion hours for the entire U.S. workforce, or a $588 billion cost to the
American economy. "

"A 2006 research study conducted among sales and marketing teams at Intel
indicated that 54 percent of those surveyed believed e-mail had a negative
impact on their stress levels. And a number of other studies show that
productivity-enhancing hardware and software has helped heighten distraction
and discontinuity in the workplace at the expense of critical and creative
thinking--as well as constructive collaboration. "