Vince:

Thanks for your reply.

As I think about it the "Internet Cloud" is a pretty big abstraction that needs concrete activity to develop understanding. I have always treated IT and the Internet as "objects" to be manipulated and formed into new objects. Perhaps this is my way of "making the abstract concrete." This is a learning from "Mindstorms."

As I thought about the abstractness of the Internet I thought about the abstractness of school. The following story illustrates what I mean.

Billy and Jimmy are first graders
Their teacher writes on the "white" board  2+1= ?
All hands are up --- The teachers calls on Jimmy
Jimmy replies "3." --- "Right" responds the teacher.
The teacher writes  2+2 ? - All hands are up -- The teacher calls on Billy.
Billy answers "2+2 is 4" - "Good, Billy" replies the teacher.
The teachers writes on the whiteboard    2+3= ?
All hands are down.
Jimmy and Billy hide behind other students so not to be called on.
Billy leans over to Jimmy and says-- "Just what I have been afraid of since the first day of school - CALCULUS!!!"

I think school goes this fast for many students.

School was like playing "catchup basketball" for me. I was allows behind. It was like this for me until I met my high school chemistry teacher. From him I experienced that wrong answers were as powerful as the right ones. That information came from working with real world materials. That new questions were better than old answers. That the books were filled with wrong answers. He made the abstractness of chemistry come alive and real. That there are many ways of seeing. I didn't completely understand this until I read Pirsig's, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" some 20 years later.

We need to explore the "backwards" thinking of problem solving and make the abstract of the Internet become concrete in more school experiences.

Peace

Frank