And luckily, it's not terribly long. One of the dullest books I've ever read.

--Steve Barner, South Burlington

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vincent Rossano
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 11:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: More Thoughts from the Past

Vincent Rossano
Information Technology Director
Montpelier Public Schools
Montpelier, VT 05602

(802) 225-8690

>>> "Frank J. Watson" [log in to unmask]> 1/29/2008 2:02 PM >>
>I didn't completely understand this until I read Pirsig's,
>"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" some 20 years later.

Pirsig's book was an eye-opener to me too.  For those of you who aren't familiar with it, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" isn't really about maintaining a motorcycle - except to the extent that it represents a technological interaction with a machine. Primarily, the book is an examination of the dichotomy between the pragmatic, objective, linear thinking of the scientist and the romantic, subjective, non-linear world of the artist - and, finally, an attempt at reconciling the two.  Pirsig makes frequent forays into the esoteric world of Platonic philosophy, but, most of the time, he presents his thesis with a chatty casualness that, today, would most likely be published in some sort of travel blog. It's beguiling.  And it's very important to us because we are faced, in our delivery of technology education, with the polarities of atomistic vs. holistic thought, the schematic vs. the gestalt.  Does the average student benefit by being presented with the underlying systemic pieces of a thing or, as Wordsworth suggests, do we "murder to dissect"?  Can we continue to understand the larger meaning of a phenomenon - for instance, the Internet - when we have dived down into the underlying bits and bytes?  I think we can.  I think we must.  Get the book for summer reading; it's extremely thought provoking.

-Vince