I agree with Bjorn about RTF, although another step in the right direction
could be raising awareness about file extensions: WHY does XP hide these by
default? We now have them visible on all Windows machines, and are working
hard to help staff and students understand what the extension means and how
to convert between formats when possible. If converters are installed, tech
folks shouldn¹t have to do the conversion!

Bjorn also points to the possibility of using GoogleDocs to do help with
conversions: users could paste into a GoogleDoc and ³Save As² RTF or Word?

Eric