The following includes portions of an article I wrote for the Winter
VSLA Newsletter. I hope you'll continue reading past the info some of
you already know about VTcite and help others by sharing some of your
knowledge and expertise with library automation systems.
******************************
For the past two years I have had the unique opportunity to work on a
collaborative project between VITA-Learn and the University of
Vermont creating a web portal for those of us concerned with
improving student learning through the integration of technology.
This portal, the Vermont Commons for Information Technology
Educators, or VTcite, is a place where educators can share public
resources and news, as well as hold online forums.

I encourage you to visit the VTcite website at http://vtcite.org/ and
peruse all the offerings available. As we all know, technology is
playing an ever-increasing role in education, and this website has
many curricular and professional development resources which, through
increased participation, can only grow in usefulness to all educators.

I am currently the President Elect of the Vermont School Library
Association (VSLA). You may have heard of our organization under its
previous name: the Vermont Educational Media Association (VEMA). At
our 2007 Fall Conference, Sheila Kearns, Director of Information
Technology Services at the Vermont Department of Libraries, presented
her findings on the research she performed regarding library
automation systems. Due to recent changes with some of our vendors, a
number of schools are faced with finding a new system. To further
assist our VSLA membership with the decisions around moving to new
library automation systems, I have added the information Sheila
compiled to the resources section at VTcite. The easiest way to
access this particular information would be to simply type “library
automation” into the VTcite search bar and click on “Search.” At the
next screen you will see a list of these resources. By clicking on a
title, you’ll be able to download a file containing information on
that particular system.
Sheila’s spreadsheet provides us with the critical information about
the various systems. And through our listserv we can share our
thoughts on the systems we’re familiar with. So why use VTcite? With
VTcite, all of this would be in one place. At the top of each
resource description you can add your own rating using a 1-5 star
rating system. And at the end of each description is a place where
you can post your own comments and read those of others. As my school
faces this decision in the near future, it would be incredibly
helpful to draw upon our shared knowledge and expertise.

Thanks, and I hope you will take advantage of this great resource
developed for and by Vermont educators.