The big problem with SketchUp is the goal of printing out the designs as templates. Getting SketchUp to print to actual size is a real challenge that we haven't been able to crack. SketchUp is the first to admit that it's not really a CAD program.

--Steve Barner, South Burlington Schools

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Cavrak
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CAD software for Middle School students

On Jan 16, 2008, at 9:01 AM, David Davidson wrote:

In the past the students created blueprints on graph paper and then used these drawings as templates to build their bridges. This year the teachers want their students to do be able to create their drawings on a computer and print them out as templates to build their bridges on.

If they were doing covered bridges, I'm sure that GoogleSketchup would work .. but I'm not sure about building classic or modern (single tower) suspension bridges.

believed to be clean.