Re: comcast service - free?
My memory is also shot but I recall there was a limit to the distance between the school and their service point (pole).
I seem to recall it being 300’
Bryan-St.John Schofield
 K-20 Education Consultant
Educational Technologies Services

Vince is essentially correct from my (also aging memory!!!!) perspective except for a couple of items:

I do not believe this specification is in the agreement: “
And they specified that the service not be shared by multiple simultaneous users.”

Also, they are not required to provide the service to every school in the state – but only to those whose doors their fiber passes. I also think municipal offices are included.

I will try to work with Peter Drescher, the new DOE Educational Technology Coordinator to see if we can dig up the actual wording of the agreement.

Bill
Secondary Transformation Team
Vermont Department of Education
120 State Street