From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lucie deLaBruere
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Skype?

Vince,

Skype (and such services)  as a tool are being used increasingly in educational technology environment as we incoporate global communications and collaboration into the curriculum.  You will most likely see an increase in these type of request.   The first step for many of us is trying the tool at home, or in practice environments so we can understand how it functions and how it fits into a classroom environment (both technically and pedagogically)

  I am currently practicing with other education tech leaders in the Vermont schools, so we can become more familiar with the tool as we prepare for projects like " a conversation with Senator Leahy's office" ;  "communication with a school in Asia, etc".   We need to figure out things like;  what type of place does this have in the classroom or school setting;  how it would work with a whole group as oppose to with a small group. (things like , microphones, speakers, etc all need the right settings to work together in a classroom environment to not get echo's) So there are many considerations, and some of us are just starting to practice  as we prepare for learning opportunities around the world that involve Skype.

Vince,  if your teacher wants to practice with us, give her my email, and we will invite her to join us.   I will also start a thread on VTCITE about this as we progress and post back here when its ready.

Lucie