Bill,

Thanks, I have pulled this article and added it to my venous insufficiency file.

I do mean file, this topic has been bounced around for a long long time.

J2

Jack I.  Siegel, BA RVT
Technical  Director
Vascular Surgery
Dartmouth  Hitchcock Medical Center,  NH
Veterans Administration Medical  Center,   VT
603-650-8145
603-650-4737

--- You wrote:
The issue of reflux time has been around for decades.  I have seen 1 sec, 2 sec and 3 sec used as a cutoff time for normal, but little in the formal research arena.

This reference might help;
Labropoulos N, Tiongson J, Pryor L, et al.  Definition of Venous Reflux in Lower Extremity Veins.  J Vasc Surg. 2003; 38: 793-798.  Their cutoff values for "normal" subjects were <500 ms in superficial veins and calf veins, <350 ms for perforators, and <1000 ms for femoropopliteal veins. Longer duration of reflux was observed in supine subjects than standing subjects.

If you are going to use this reference, I would strongly suggest reading the entire article.

And of course, if the Valsalva maneuver or manual compression is not adequate, reflux measurements are pretty useless.

Bill Johnson, RVT, FSVU