Ruth,

The ICAVL standards state: standing or sitting.  I doubt that we will
change, at least not at this point.  We were scanning everyone standing
up all the time.  I am going to make a controversial statement.  For
those unfamiliar with a thorough venous insufficiency examination and
for those labs who do not have beds/carts that at least meet the 45
degree reverse trendelenberg, standing the patient is the best way.  But
also standing the patient causes the sonographer a lot of discomfort
unless they have a "tall venous stand" and you may encounter
sonographers that take some shortcuts when their arms and shoulders
start cramping.

Society for Vascular Ultrasound has a venous insufficiency guideline on
their website and they make the recommendations of a reverse
trendelenberg of 15-20 degrees or standing.

The American College of Phlebology recommends unofficially standing the
patient during the exam.  So there is variation.  I still support how we
perform the venous insufficiency exam because as of this date, continued
QA has proven we rarely miss reflux or any sign of phlebitis. (98.5%
agreement on subsequent follow-up exams)

Claudia A. Benge, RDCS, RDMS, RVT, RVS

Technical Services Director

Decatur Vein Clinic

317 218 2823