Well, I visited the Intervale today and saw Jim Mead, as he said. We picked out a group of 12 or so Rock Pigeons flying around apparently in response to a falcon (? Peregrine) perched on a tower at the McNeil plant. The amazing thing to me is the absence of gulls and crows here ever since the Intervale Compost Project took action a few months ago-not necessarily a good thing for the birding. A large flock of European Starlings is still roosting in the trees, though, and I saw 3 Red-tailed Hawks in flight checking them out. My only other observation of note was the usual small flock of 4-6 American Tree Sparrows hunkered down in the brush bordering the Winooski River.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington