This afternoon I took my life in my hands and walked out on the Colchester Causeway from the South Hero (Allen Point) end. The access road was in pretty good shape except for 5 yards of glare ice near the end. The 25 degree F. temperature, brisk northwest wind, and icy pathway made walking on the Causeway quite challenging. I counted 238 Common Goldeneye and a handful of Common Mergansers, Ring-billed Gulls, and Greater Black-backed Gulls. No Barrow's Goldeneye that I could see, but when there are tears in your eyes from the cold and your scope is vibrating constantly in the wind, field marks are not that easy to pick out. A soaring adult Bald Eagle kept the ducks honest, stirring them up about every 15 minutes or so. Mallett's Bay is pretty much frozen, except for the area near the "cut". The lake side is more or less wide open, though.

I'm sure that there are a few masochists out there that will want to check out the Causeway this week. As for me I'm going to thaw out in Florida this weekend.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington