We had a plethora of Goldfinches earlier in the season.  About the
time they went missing, my (wildlife biologist) son in NC reported
them showing up at his feeders in spades.  Several weeks later, we
had some back, but a smaller contingent, with other finches mixed
in.  So perhaps the big flocks we had earlier on have shifted to the
south and the birds we now see are down from the north.  Or perhaps
they all decided to camp over at Sue's.  :-)

Three Pine Grosbeaks came to the cherry tree a few minutes before
10:00am.  I noted the first arrival at the top of a deciduous tree,
which caught my attention because of her lovely, long, (what's the
term?) dovetailed tail.  I have been watching them with my binoculars
and it looks like a juvenile male (red head but light chest with
whiter than some wingbars), and two females of deep tone.  They do
not look like the bird I rehab-ed, as these are deep golden but the
slightest bit tinged toward the red, whereas she was of softer golden
tones.  Is this more likely a variation or could they actually be
molting toward Spring this early?

Ah, now a full-fledged, red-chested male has arrived and the females
have gone, ostensibly to keep watch.
Wait, now they are all gone.  Twenty to twenty-five minutes seems to
be the usual amount of time they stay in one spot to feed, often
changing configuration.  Wise creatures.

Thanks!  I love reading the sitings!  Warmly, June in Jericho