I have read (and been told) that the berries don't have the irritating oil
that the rest of the plant has.  The source below seems to imply otherwise,
but I believe that it simply means to say that the birds don't become
sensitive to the oils contained in the rest of the plant.  This is also true
of some humans; I am one of them. Na-na-na-na.

Dayle Ann
Brandon

From the Pennsylvania State University website (link below):

<<Poison ivy is a very widespread and productive plant. It flowers in May
and June and produces dense clusters of white berries that ripen between
August and November and often persist through the winter. Over sixty species
of birds have been documented to eat the berries of poison ivy! These birds,
apparently, do not become sensitized to the volatile oils and do not
experience allergic reactions to the plant. As mentioned in the "Winter
Bird" section of this web site, poison ivy berries are an important natural
food source for the over-wintering birds on the Nature Trail.

A secondary consequence of birds' eating the poison ivy berries is the
passage of the poison ivy seeds through the birds' digestive systems. The
seeds, then, are energetically dispersed throughout the active range of the
birds.>>
http://www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/naturetrail/speciespages/poisonivy.htm