Shrike vocalization is so odd.  I had the opportunity some years
ago to ask  Dr. Reuven Yosef from Eilat, who's done a fair amount
of field research on shrikes, why they sing in the dead of
winter, and he surprised me by saying that although he didn't
know for sure, he thought it was a way of luring small songbirds
within range by imitating fragments of their songs and calls.  Yikes!

Dr. Yosef's presentation of his research on shrikes is one of the
most fascinating talks I've ever heard on any subject in my life.
  Don't know if he ever gives it anymore, but if you should be
somewhere he's supposed to talk on the subject, GO.

Jane
Shoreham