At about 3:15 this afternoon I spotted a Northern Shrike perched on
wires along side Button Bay Road in Ferrisburg.  The exact location was
about 100 yards north of the main entrance to the state park.  It was
hunting for something in the melt ponds below the wires.  A couple of
times it successfully caught something, flew back up to the wires, and
swallowed its prey whole.  I couldn't tell exactly what it was catching;
they seemed bluish in color and almost worm-like, but I couldn't make
out any details.  I'm virtually certain it was taking the prey directly
out of the melt water.

Steve Trombulak