Yeah, Butler's has always been a teaching restaurant.  Tawny used to wait
tables there - part of her job was training students on front of the house
technique.  The kitchen is staffed with students, the bakery downstairs is
too.

As far as I'm aware all of the NECI restaurants have some teaching aspect
involved - just at different levels. The nicer restaurants tend to get the
more experienced students.

On 1/28/08, Marc Chrusch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Ben Bloom wrote:
> > > It looks like the fine dining that was at the Chef's Table has now
> > > moved to Butler's at the Inn at Essex:
> > > http://www.necidining.com/butlers.html
> > >

> >Well, not really moved to.  I think Butlers predates the Chef's Table.
>
> But as an NECI teaching restaurant? There are some things on the
> Butler's menu that I think I vaguely remember from Chef's Table. (But
> then again the last time I was in VT was in 2001, so what do I know? ;-) )
>
> -marc

Benjamin D. Bloom
www.sonicbloom.org
(802) 578-2679