Jerm--I think the author was just looking at the number of s-boards sold per year vrs skis--
and crediting "twin-tips" for bringing skiing back. The data had gone from 1.2 million more
s-boards sold than skis in a given year, to currently, when the numbers reverse--skis in the
last year for data were selling 1.2 million more than s-boards. I think it goes deeper than
twin-tips...

Snowboarding must be getting harder to market. My guess is that the image of skiing has
evolved since snowboard marketing 101 came around in the late 1980's-1990's. Skiing used
to be an easy target from which snowboarding could be "different" and "rebel" from, but the
ski marketing folks copied the snowboard marketing ideas, and now what?

My opinion is that snowboards are now culturally mainstream in a way that is making them
harder to sell. Here is a thought experiement to try...imagine your job is to market
snowboards in 2008. how do you distinguish your product (and lifestyle") from skis, and get
youth to buy a snowboard? Today most skis have the same graffiti style top sheet, the same
cool names, the same twin tips, and are almost as fat, as snowboards. The clothes are
pretty much the same too, what with the baggy zoot suits skier kids are wearing, too. From
a youth marketing perspective, skis and snowboards are pretty much identical products.

If the above is true, that might be why it is getting tougher to sell a snowboard than it used
to be...

______