Lucie,
Thanks for the great introduction.

All,
That pretty much does sum it up, a correction though, I do not own the
company, but I am the Executive Director in VT (it was started by Burr
Warne, who has worked in online education for over a decade).  I joined last
year after graduating with a M.Ed from UVM and was fortunate to be in the
right place at the right time and heard Burr speak about his vision
(ironically it was very close to the original topic of my thesis, so it was
a good post-graduation fit).

We provide free online classrooms for any teachers that want them, we also
have free tutorials and teachers are encouraged to contact me or our expert
Moodler, Jim Gates, for assistance.  Our entire network is built upon
Moodle, which we also utilize to deliver professional development courses
(we hope to introduce another catalog this summer).  Revenue from the course
sales helps us provide the free services.

In Vermont I have been focused on working with our partners (currently two
districts in Chittenden County) who have sites hosted by us, and expanding
our relationships throughout the state.  I'm involved in a number of very
exciting projects and have provided on-site training sessions all over
Vermont.

What I am most excited about is aggregating the unmet demand across the
state in our high schools and leveling the playing field of educational
opportunities.  When I went to Lake Region I didn't have the same
opportunities as my peers in Burlington or even Lyndonville.  I didn't take
AP computer science, but *it wasn't because I didn't want to* (my
opportunities were limited by my local catalog--I imagine that this is the
same elsewhere, but it's not the fault of our schools!).  Wouldn't it be
great if there was an online catalog of courses taught by Vermont teachers
that augmented the core curriculum of our small and rural high schools?
This was tried a number of years ago through synchronous teleconferencing
for AP courses, but the effort fell by the wayside.  I'd like to give it a
go again, but with a twist.  Through our network it's possible to 'export'
education.  Meaning that we can provide these opportunities to students in
other states (where this same need is unmet), but return wages to Vermont
teachers.  We can cut costs, but increase opportunities (think of it as
catering to the Long Tail of education).

I just submitted a grant that would let us pilot such a program at no cost
to any district, school or student (and if I don't get it this time, I am
definitely trying again).  I'm curious what you all think about our business
and my ideas about online courses for high school students (many of you
already provide some opportunities through VHS, so it certainly isn't an new
idea, just a new model).  I'm young, and maybe a bit ignorant as well; I
want to rock the boat, but I don't want it to capsize (or to cause a
mutiny).  Your feedback and comments are greatly appreciated.

I really appreciate being on this listserv, I do treat it as a privilege
(and I'm better for being on it and being able to read the great discussions
you've all had---there have been some really great ones lately).  Sorry for
the long email, I chalk it up to a product of working from home.

Sincerely,

-Joe

On Feb 5, 2008 8:38 PM, Lucie deLaBruere <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Global Classroom is owned by Joe Thibault (one of the Kingdom's
> contribution to the tech world).  He might be on this list serv and can
> probably speak for himself.  He's presentinng at The VT Open Source
> Conference and has been present in recent tech conferences around the
> state.  He is offering a Moodle classroom to any teacher who wants one. I
> know that there are many folks on the list who use his services.
>
> Lucie
>

> On Feb 5, 2008 9:27 PM, Frank J. Watson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > What do folks know about GlobalClassrom. A VT group that does online
> > professional develop for teachers?
> > Peace
> >
> > Frank
> >    Frank J. Watson
> > 1 Lochend Lane
> > Cheraw, SC 29520
> >
> > *"I'll see it when I believe it"*
> >

> --
> Lucie deLaBruere
> www.LearningWithLucie.com
> www.InfiniteThinking.org
>
> http://twitter.com/techsavvygirl
>

> Work: 802 527  0565 x 3206
> Cell:  802  752  6086

Joseph Thibault
Executive Director
GlobalClassroom

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Skype:  joseph.thibault
Phone:  (805) 617-4642
Cell:  (802) 578-7422
Blog: http://theglobalclassroom.blogspot.com

This information may be privileged or confidential and is intended for use
solely by the person(s) named above. Review of this communication by anyone
other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited; and distribution
or duplication of this communication may not be made without the prior
consent of the sender.